The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) now offers its benefits to individuals falling under the economically weaker sections (EWS) with an annual income of Rs 6 lakh.
The Indian government has increased the income criteria from Rs 3 lakh to Rs 6 lakh for those seeking affordable housing under PMAY in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.
Maharashtra Government Successfully Raises Income Criteria for Affordable Housing
Devendra Fadnavis, the Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra, announced on Wednesday that the income criteria for the EWS category under PMAY in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region has been raised.
Fadnavis expressed gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri for considering the government’s request to increase the income limit from ₹3 lakh to ₹6 lakh.
He emphasized that this decision will benefit a significant number of citizens in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana: Providing Affordable Housing for All
Launched in 2015, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a government scheme aimed at ensuring affordable housing for the underprivileged.
The goal of the scheme is to construct approximately 20 million houses by March 31, 2022, at an affordable cost.
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G) has been extended until 2024, and the revised target for pucca houses is set at 2.95 crore.
Understanding the Eligibility for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation has defined the eligibility criteria for the PMAY scheme as follows:
1) The beneficiaries can include the husband, wife, and unmarried daughters/sons.
2) The beneficiary or any other family member should not already own a pucca house anywhere in India.
3) Any adult, regardless of marital status, can be considered a separate household.
The beneficiaries are categorized as follows:
1) Middle Income Group (MIG I): Annual income between Rs 6 – 12 lakh
2) Middle Income Group (MIG II): Annual income between Rs 12 – 18 lakh
3) Low Income Groups (LIGs): Annual income between Rs 3 – 6 lakh
4) Economically Weaker Sections (EWS): Annual income up to Rs 3 lakh
While LIG and MIG beneficiaries are eligible for the credit linked subsidy scheme under PMAY, EWS beneficiaries are entitled to full assistance.
To qualify as an LIG or EWS beneficiary, the applicant must provide an affidavit as proof of income.