US President Donald Trump has once again faced a setback from the US court.
After earlier declaring Trump’s tariff policy illegal, the court has now criticized his fast-track deportation plan. The court said this decision violates the rights of immigrants.
According to District Judge Jia Cobb of Washington DC, the Trump administration started expelling immigrants in January. Under this policy, immigrants could be arrested from anywhere.
What the Judge Said
Justice Cobb noted that immigrants had been identified and deported earlier too, but the process became much faster after January.
Anyone who is not a US citizen and cannot prove that they have been living in the US for at least two years is immediately arrested under this order.
Trump Administration’s Response
The Trump administration has appealed against this ruling. It said it will take the matter to the Supreme Court. However, Judge Cobb refused to put a stay on her decision.
Tariff Declared Illegal Earlier
Before this, a US federal court had also declared Trump’s tariff illegal.
The court gave the Trump administration time until October 14 to remove the tariff and file an appeal in the Supreme Court.