As September draws to a close, the anticipation of October brings not only festive cheer but also the need to stay informed about upcoming bank holidays.
While much of banking has transitioned into the digital realm, certain transactions still require physical visits to the bank.
To help you plan your financial activities effectively, here’s a comprehensive list of bank holidays in October.
October’s Festive Extravaganza
The month of October is not only a time of celebration but also a season of numerous festivals. With this festive backdrop, the list of banking holidays tends to extend.
The Reserve Bank of India has already released the official list of bank holidays for October, encompassing a total of 16 days when banking operations will remain suspended.
Sundays also account for some of these holidays. Whether you need to conduct routine banking tasks or specific transactions, it’s essential to be aware of these holidays.
Key Dates When Banks Will Be Closed in October
- October 1 (Sunday): The month begins with a bank holiday as it falls on a Sunday.
- October 2: Banks will remain closed nationwide to commemorate Gandhi Jayanti.
- October 8 (Second Sunday): A regular Sunday bank holiday.
- October 14 (Second Saturday) and Mahalaya: Banks across the country will remain closed.
- October 15 (Third Sunday): Another Sunday bank holiday.
- October 18: Banks in the Guwahati zone will observe a holiday for Kati Bihu.
- October 21: On the occasion of Durga Puja or Maha Saptami, banks in Agartala, Guwahati, Imphal, and Kolkata will remain closed.
- October 22 (Sunday): Banks will remain closed nationwide due to it being a Sunday.
- October 23: Banks in various cities, including Agartala, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kanpur, Kochi, Kohima, Kolkata, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Shillong, and Thiruvananthapuram, will observe a holiday for Dussehra and Mahanavami.
- October 24: Except for Hyderabad and Imphal, banks in other locations will remain closed for Vijaya Dashami, also known as Durga Puja.
- October 25, 26, and 27: Banks in Gangtok, Jammu, and Srinagar will be closed in observance of Dasain.
- October 28: Banks in Kolkata will remain closed for Lakshmi Puja.
- October 29 (Sunday): A nationwide bank holiday due to Sunday.
- October 31: Banks in Ahmedabad will be closed on the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Make sure to plan your banking tasks accordingly to avoid any inconvenience during these holidays.